Busy day pulling up carpet with no plans for dinner. Quick stop at the supermarket and on my way to Homemade Spaghetti Sauce! This recipe I am about to share happened by accident. It was a cold day a few winters back, I had taken the ground beef out of the freezer only to find, there was no spaghetti sauce in the cupboard. I had used the same store bought spaghetti sauce in a jar for many years. I did not want to go out in the cold so I improvised.
Tomato sauce check, tomato paste check, spices in the cupboard and all the veggies in the fridge. What the heck, if it’s no good, at least I tried.
BILL LOVED IT!!! I haven’t purchased spaghetti sauce in a jar since.
Lets start with the Ingredients:
- 1 large can Tomato Sauce (purchase the one with the least ingredients)
- 1 tin tomato paste
- 1 lb Extra Lean ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 10 fresh mushrooms cut in chunks
- 1 tsp hot peppers(I used homemade)
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning(which contains, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, basil)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
The Process: Like the Title says, this is Easy Peasy….
- Add all ingredients except onion and beef to a large sauce pan, stir well as the tomato paste is thick. Bring the pot to a slow boil, stirring often
- Brown your ground beef with chopped onion in frying pan, once fully cooked, add to sauce pan
- Lower the heat and let simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes(the longer the better)