Last night while Bill was out of town, I had guests for dinner. I made a lovely chicken dish that I know Allan and Cathy like and they brought dessert. The dessert was Paleo Dark Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding. I ate half of my portion after dinner and today I ate dessert for breakfast. It was delicious!! Oh…did I tell you there is no gelatin??
I am the first to admit that I know very little about the Paleo “diet”. I do however know lots of about taste and this pudding was excellent. You may want to have a look at the nutritional information and not just the calories, fibre, sugar etc. Have a look a the health benefits and downfalls. I did a quick review and found that this Paleo pudding is probably better for me than most cereals.
The recipe is easy to make and well worth it. I will tell you however that the texture reminds me a little of tapioca pudding, others say the texture of the chia seeds remind them of Kiwi seeds. Either way, the recipe is going in my cookbook.
- 1-14 oz (400 ml) can full fat coconut milk
- 2 oz (~50 g) of your favorite dark chocolate (85% or higher), chopped, Allan used Carob chips!
- 1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder
- 5-6 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, chopped carob chips/dark chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Warm the milk until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds and vanilla extract. [Hint: Add the chia seeds while whisking continuously or else they will stick to the bottom of the pan in one big gelatinous lump. Not cool.]
- Whisk thoroughly until the chia seeds begin to thicken the mixture a bit.
- Pour into small serving cups and refrigerate for at least an hour until the mixture is very thick.
- Top with shaved chocolate, fresh raspberries, blueberries or…mmmmm whipped cream & dark chocolate shavings.
“Chocolate Pudding” – The Mighty Mighty Bosstones